Mental Health for Carers - KS2 & St Mungo's
This course consists of 4 sessions held weekly. Details of each session are below;
1. Understanding Mental Health Challenges
Aim – To provide an opportunity to explore what it can be like to experience mental health challenges and how mental health needs can impact on people’s behaviour.
- What is mental health and what are mental health issues
- Recognising distress and our reaction to it
- Understand why other people behave in the way they do
- How we all perceive the world differently - Hearing voices activity
- Understand the experience of having mental health issues
- The importance of consistency and boundaries
2. Relationships 1 – Support people with mental health needs to make changes
Aim - To explore some of the challenges of supporting people who have mental health needs to make changes and introduce some techniques for working with change.
- Cycle of change and support
- Exploring different caring styles
- Identifying resistance to change - what can we do?
- Ambivalence to change and motivation for change
- What would be different if it wasn’t your relative or friend?
3. Relationships 2 – Conflict and Crisis
Aim - Reducing and managing conflict and crises with the person you support who has lived experience of mental health issues.
- Understanding challenging behaviour
- Circular arguments (drama triangle) and de-escalation for conflict
- Keep everyone safe – managing a crises
- I’m OK you're OK – the aspiration
4. Creating boundaried relationships & everyone feeling supported
Aim - To be better able to establish clear boundaries, positive communication & relationships with someone with lived experience of mental health issues
- The 5 Areas CBT model – Thinking, Feelings, Behaviour, Body
- Wellness Action Plan (WAP)
- Managing overwhelming feelings - Containment/stress bucket
- Less good-support is better than lots of bad-support
- Setting Boundaries (e.g no mental health talk/arguing at dinner) & remember to do 'fun' things
Participants receive a resource pack which includes the models and tools from the four sessions, it will also include additional resources.
Dates, Times & Places ....
This is not currently scheduled in the calendar.